Data science software platforms are advanced analytics and machine learning tools that facilitate data scientists in crafting strategies and extracting meaningful insights from data. These insights can then be distributed across an organization using such a unified platform. Data science endeavors often require separate programs for individual steps in the modeling process, making a central hub crucial for collaboration in such projects.
Businesses are rapidly adopting data science solutions and superior analytics functionalities to enable data-focused business decisions. A comprehensive, integrated platform increases the likelihood of superior outcomes and, in turn, boosts business value. With the flexibility and interoperability offered by data science solutions, companies can integrate data-driven decisions into both internal and external structures to enhance commercial performance and customer experiences.
Varieties of Data Science Platforms:
- Open Data Science Platform: These platforms facilitate data scientists with the flexibility to customize their workflow. Open platforms allow users to employ packages of their choice, enabling the use of suitable tools for specific tasks and experimentation with alternative technologies and languages.
- Closed Data Science Platform: Such platforms compel data scientists to adhere to the vendor’s unique programming language, graphical user interface (GUI) tools, and modeling packages, thus restricting the utility of tools on the platform.
Significance of Data Science Platform:
- Delegation of low-value tasks: Data science platforms enable data scientists to delegate various low-priority tasks like job scheduling, historical result recreation, reporting, and environment customization for non-technical users.
- Reduction of engineering effort: Data science platforms allow data scientists to implement analytical models into production without additional technical or DevOps effort. A data science platform ensures models are API-accessible, thereby reducing dependency on engineering.
- Enhancing collaboration among data scientists: A central and flexible data science cloud platform equipped with necessary tools can stimulate effective collaboration among data scientists, thus maximizing the value derived from the data science team. It ensures a collective space for data models, data visualizations, and code libraries accessible to all.
- Speeding up experimentation and investigation: Data science platforms relieve data scientists from administrative tasks and maintain the work of previous individuals, making the onboarding process for a new recruit more smooth and efficient.
- Data Analysis Repetition: Without knowledge of team members' accomplishments, there might be an unnecessary repetition of tasks during the ideation and exploration phases.
- Experimentation Hurdles: Without a data science platform, tests involving extensive computations can face delay.
- Operationalization Impediments: Operationalizing data science projects requires engineering resources, thereby increasing costs and time to market.